This authored article by Karunjit Kumar Dhir – Co-Founder, SCIKEY originally published in Business World
One of the most significant changes this fast-paced world currently undergoing is the change in the style, definition future of work. With many globally leading organizations accepting ‘remote work’ as a norm and plans to continue offering ‘remote work’ as a more acceptable mainstream work practice to their staff, for the foreseeable future, the talented professionals are to work remotely with the help of digital virtual tools.
This emergence of remote work and workplaces has also challenged the other associated norms around productivity, leadership, team management, skills-of-the-future, and business sustainability. With the boundaries of the ‘work-life’ getting blurred and no one looking over our shoulders, ‘Self-leadership’ has become one of the most critical success factors for individuals to do well in their jobs and progress in their careers.
So what is ‘self-leadership’ after all. In straightforward terms, self-leadership is mastering one’s self. It is about being your CEO or the master of your destiny. It is becoming accountable taking full responsibility for our thoughts, feelings actions. It is about developing ourselves by consciously influencing our thoughts, feelings actions towards achieving our professional and personal goals. It is also the science of thinking inside-out and a strong belief that instead of blaming others, we consciously try to improve our thoughts feelings and channel those positive thoughts energy into timely actions. When we do this, we stand a much better chance of improved outcomes for ourselves and the people around us.
Now, let us imagine this ‘self-leadership’ in the context of remote working. One of the biggest obstacles to the mainstream adoption of remote working has been the employers fearing the loss of productivity commitment to work due to the underlying trust issues. Line managers become wary of their remote working teams because they suspect if the group shall meet the work goals, timelines outcome expectations with no one looking over their shoulders. As individuals, we can all adopt specific yet beneficial practices inspired by self-leadership; to provide that much-needed assurance to our employers and managers.
Here are the top 5 ways you can showcase develop self-leadership, especially in times of remote working –
- Deliver Results – yes, the proof of the pudding is in tasting it, and results speak louder than our words. So while working remotely, let our performance, contribution impact speak for itself. It always works better to showcase our performance achievements in quantifiable terms; rather than just by way of some promise left to imagination ambiguity.
- Take accountability –it is tempting to pass on the buck or hide poor performance or lapses, citing multiple excuses, e.g., technology, distractions, lack of support from colleagues, etc. However, that is not how the real ‘high-performers’ operate. So we need to take complete ownership of our work deliverables and overcome hurdles pro-actively.
- Bring clarity –wondering why? Ambiguity leads to confusion, while clarity fuels assurance. There are multiple uncertainties that the employers, managers teams are dealing with while working remotely. Therefore, if we bring clarity to the table and exhibit predictability in our actions and results, people see us in a better light and get reassured or even inspired.
- Communicate with solutions –when in a flight that experiences turbulence, don’t we feel better when the captain keeps briefing about the weather’s status outside reassuring that they’ve got it under control and by when the flight should be out of the impact zone. Likewise, whatever our role in the team, we need to be communicating do so by offering solutions. We need to start by thinking ‘inside-out’ – how can I solve this problem, what can I do to improve this situation, what value can I add to this process so on.
- Self-discipline – self-leadership is about self-mastery, and there can be no mastery without discipline. Right from getting up on time starting our day to going to bed on time or the way we manage our work schedules and output. Even building family relationships, developing a positive growth-mindset, keeping ourselves healthy, developing good habits, taking care of the environment planet happens with discipline. Self-discipline is the foundation of everything we can achieve in life. Therefore, while we work remotely usually from the comfort of our home, we must practice showcase a high degree of self-discipline to influence our outcomes and inspire other colleagues or teams.
Self-leadership is a fine art, and to master the same, we also need to connect with our ‘deeper-self’ to discover identify who we are. A better understanding of our ‘self’ at a deeper combined level helps us with self-discovery self-identification that fosters better Self-awareness. Better awareness of who we are, what we want to be, what motivates us, and makes us most productive are good starting points. Our strengths to add real value and potential improvement(self-development needs) can be the next step on our self-awareness journey. And this self-awareness, when supplemented with self-discipline, leads to self-development and, eventually, self-leadership.
SCIKEY Market Network is a Digital Marketplace for Jobs, Work Business solutions, supported by a Professional Network and an integrated Services Ecosystem. It enables enterprises, businesses, job seekers, freelancers, and gig workers around the world. With its online events, learning certifications, assessments, ranking awards, content promotion tools, SaaS solutions for business, a global consulting ecosystem, and more, companies can get the best deals in one place.
'SCIKEY Assured,' a premium managed services offering by SCIKEY, delivers the best outcomes to enterprise customers globally for talent and technology solutions getting delivered offshore, remotely, or on-premise. We are super-proud to be working with some of the world's most iconic Fortune1000 brands.
Better Work. Better Business. Better Life. Better World.